September 19, 2018, 04:57:35 AM

Author Topic: Character Goals?  (Read 877 times)

Offline Onónion Menathradon

• Famous
  • Ascend this World
    • View Profile
Character Goals?
« on: August 20, 2015, 07:44:13 PM »
I like to have a rough understanding of where I want my characters to grow towards but allow the writing progress, interaction with other people's characters, and chance to ultimately decide the fate of any particular character.

How about you?

"The devotion of the greatest is to encounter risk and danger, and play dice with death."

Offline Poliand

• Newcomer
  • llama!
    • View Profile
Re: Character Goals?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 07:13:37 PM »
I was that way for a long time but I find that I prefer not to be writing in a specific direction anymore. I prefer that my character has a set of goals for themselves and I just try and have them work as logically within their character as possible towards them, see how they change. I find a lot of fun in seeing who they become over the course of the story rather than seeing them become the thing I wanted them to be.

Essentially I want to create a person, define them as best as I can then see what they do and who they become through their interactions with other characters.

Offline Ezeral

• Newcomer
  • Gems!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 06:11:53 AM »
(Psst it's Kaze. New site, new character)

I usually have one clear 'end game' in mind when writing a character. I had one in mind for Kaze on HR1.0, but after certain encounters with other PCs this changed several times. I like the way it was panning out, but it does make getting to the goal much, much longer. I was thinking about having a different approach this time around, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see when I actually start RPing with this guy.

Offline Zyrphath

• Sentinels of the Realm
  • Ancient
  • Realm Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 06:47:56 PM »
I haven't been consistent with more than one character, so I can't really say... but I started out with "the whole story" planned out in rough sketches -- not necessarily the plots, but all the milestones -- and I have to say, the result as far as I've come now is so very, very different from anything I could have imagined 10 years ago.

And honestly, that's not a bad thing (in my case, anyway). I could never boast having a very deep character, but it's a lot, *lot* less two-dimensional now than it was in the beginning.

I think our characters evolve as we do - when we change, they change.
Tome of Darkness

Avatar and sig-render by Silverbobcat