August 18, 2018, 04:40:07 PM

Author Topic: Start of HR 2.0 Migration  (Read 2739 times)

Offline Zyrphath

• Sentinels of the Realm
  • Ancient
  • Realm Overlord
    • View Profile
Start of HR 2.0 Migration
« on: July 15, 2015, 07:03:32 PM »
To whom it may concern,

If you are reading this, it is most likely because you are someone who at some point frequented Hidden Realms. You will by now have noticed that the site doesn't look like you remember it. The colors are different, the layout is different, there are new buttons on the menu and your old posts are missing. The names you used to recognize aren't here anymore. Things are new and darker, what's going on?

Let me reassure you, everything that once existed still exists. What you are now viewing is a new incarnation of Hidden Realms--not exactly a fresh start, but a new beginning that attempts to carry over the good parts from the old times. We've updated the software that Hidden Realms runs on. For technobabble reasons, Davin and I didn't think there was any point in trying to update the old site - it's a bit complicated, but trust me when I say that a lot of thought went into it and every stone was turned before the decision was made.

There's been next to no activity for the past few years, but in the background, always some progress. At this point, I can't say for sure that Hidden Realms will ever be the bustling community it once was--but I am here, and will continue to be here. Nevertheless, what you are now viewing is the result of the biggest revamp ever conducted on Hidden Realms. It's a work in progress, but we feel that it has reached a point where the rest can be done "live". It will take time before there is any serious activity here again, so might as well make fully public what we have thusfar (even though some people have already been introduced).

So what are our goals?

Beyond a technical upgrade, we are implementing a structural change in how we present information about Hidden Realms and Eldanar (the name of the world we play in, if you are new) and issuing a couple of drastic changes to some in-character content. While generally I do not like retcons, there has been no way around this. Eldanar was overpopulated with information--not that information is bad, but it was too much of the wrong kind, and too little of the right kind.

For you, the user, the primary difference you'll notice is a new structure to boards, some new boards, and a split of the library: we now have a quick reference guide, the aptly and not very creatively named Lite Library. The complete manual, to be named the Grand Library, is not yet finished. Until such a point, we're linking back to the old library. The link is right on the front page!

The dark theme is our small way of trying to be eco-friendly. We are aware that there are some challenges if you use f.lux in nightmode, and not all browsers render the page exactly alike. We're trying our best to accommodate everyone. If you have an issue, please make a post here.

Finally, the old forum, with all its content is still available here. In a matter of days, it will become read-only. From that point on, all activity should reside here. To that extent, we've revised guides and resources for navigating the site and our world. Please read the rest of the stickied announcements, peruse the Beginner's Guide and visit the Knowledge Base.

If you have any questions, we have a Q&A board.

Thanks for stopping by, and we hope you will stay.
Tome of Darkness

Avatar and sig-render by Silverbobcat

Offline Zyrphath

• Sentinels of the Realm
  • Ancient
  • Realm Overlord
    • View Profile
Re: Start of HR 2.0 Migration
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 07:20:09 PM »
A quick note for those who were with us on the old site in recent-ish times - MCS, or the multi-character system, will not be ported over. You will need a separate account for each of your characters. Guilds have not been sorted yet, but we will come up with a system to facilitate for it - it just won't look like what it used to. :)
Tome of Darkness

Offline Kaze

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 09:22:25 AM »
Kind of excited that the new site might finally happen again. Hopefully it'll rekindle my story writing.

Also, The Librarian's picture and sig from imageshack are gone.

Offline Zyrphath

• Sentinels of the Realm
  • Ancient
  • Realm Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 08:55:45 PM »
I know. We'll look into that, but it's not very high on the list atm. >.>
Tome of Darkness

Offline Onónion Menathradon

• Famous
  • Ascend this World
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 07:32:29 AM »
Just wondering if this is being kicked around still..

"The devotion of the greatest is to encounter risk and danger, and play dice with death."

Offline Zyrphath

• Sentinels of the Realm
  • Ancient
  • Realm Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 04:26:40 AM »
It's slow, but I'm here. :)
Tome of Darkness

Offline Harmen

• Adventurer
  • llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2015, 07:53:57 AM »
You didn't think a measly site relocation could interrupt our thread, did you?

Aurn and I are still here, and come hell or high water, we're finishing our story.

Offline Kaze

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2015, 03:27:04 PM »
I'm glad there are still people interested in this. Can't wait till the user base grows a little more again. I'm keen to get back into some writing with my new character.

Offline Zyrphath

• Sentinels of the Realm
  • Ancient
  • Realm Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 03:45:37 AM »
I was kind of counting on the fact that your story wouldn't be interrupted... :)
Tome of Darkness

Offline Onónion Menathradon

• Famous
  • Ascend this World
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2015, 07:34:11 PM »
It's nice to see some renewed interest in this. Since I have quite a lot of downtime lately, if I can help in any way, please don't hesitate.

"The devotion of the greatest is to encounter risk and danger, and play dice with death."

Offline Rauco Lominllo

• Newcomer
  • Lord of Graves
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2015, 04:11:26 AM »
Good to see people are around

Offline Smack

• Newcomer
  • llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2015, 07:40:30 PM »
A quick note for those who were with us on the old site in recent-ish times - MCS, or the multi-character system, will not be ported over. You will need a separate account for each of your characters. Guilds have not been sorted yet, but we will come up with a system to facilitate for it - it just won't look like what it used to. :)

Is this definitely not coming back? I really liked that. :(

Offline Zyrphath

• Sentinels of the Realm
  • Ancient
  • Realm Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2015, 07:26:30 PM »
It might be, if I find something pre-constructed. So far I haven't found anything, so I don't think the chances are good at the moment.

The MCS was hand-coded by Zeshin back in the heyday. I'd like to say that I know enough PHP to do the same, which, given enough time to bash my head against the proverbial wall I might, but I don't have the time to spare right now. So for the time being, we'll have to make do without.
Tome of Darkness

Offline Davin Ragal

• Sentinels of the Realm
  • Myth
  • Son of Dicaspia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2016, 10:17:13 PM »
Zyr and I have made a new commitment to plug at this where and when we can.

Progress will not be fast, but I can assure you that HR will be back in time (those who still watch from the shadows).